social action/social justice at rodef sholom
Our Tzedek Circles initiatve is our way of doing social justice and social action together at Rodef Sholom. We have four main areas of volunteering - click on each below to find a project that is right for you - we have something for everyone!
Help us begin to build this platform for social justice on Mitzvah Day and continue with us the rest of the year to improve the communities in which we live.
In the bin for 5773/2012-2013
Start a new routine--bring something for the bin with you every time you come to Rodef Sholom. We will be collecting different items needed in the community each month. The Tzedek Circle bins and the food bins are in the lobby (the food bin will be out all year). Here is what else we will be collecting:
- September: non-perishable food items for JFCS and the Food Bank
- October: baby items(diapers, wipes, formula, etc.) for the Canal Alliance
- November: new unwrapped toys for the San Rafael Santa Cop program
- December: warm jackets, raincoats and sleeping bags for the St. Vincent de Paul Society
- January: new socks for our unsheltered guest in the REST Witner Shelter program
- February: toiletries for the unsheltered to be distributed through Ritter Center
- March: new stuffed animals and new children's books for unsheltered kids to be distributed by Project Night Night
- April: gently-used household items (twin sheets, towels, cutlery, pots & pans, etc.) for Homeward Bound
- May: new and used children's books for Marin Book Exchange and Parent Services Project
- June: children's DVDs for Little Wishes, an organziation that supports kids battling cancer and other life-threatening illnesses
- July: gently-used or new children's clothing and shoes for Image for Success
- August: school supplies for local children in need
Why Tzedek Circles?
We are part of a community of people who do good every day. One of our core Jewish values is an obligation to work for the good of the whole. But could we help more by helping together? We think so, and that's why we've begun asking one another: What are you doing?
Whether you want to feed hungry people, advocate for public funding of shelter beds, stand up for families persecuted in immigration raids, or work to create a community garden, Tzedek Circles is a project created to help you do what you believe in—together.
Special thanks to Michelle and Robert Friend for their support of the Tzedek Circle project. If you would like to join the Friends in supporting this effort, please contact MIchael Kamler at 479.3441 or